Search This Blog

Monday, October 17, 2016

My Rediscovery of Christ

My Rediscovery of Christ

 

     As I've been serving in Brazil I´ve had the opportunity to preach the restored gospel to almost everyone I come into contact with. What´s been different in Brazil compared to other missions that I´ve heard about is that we only proselytize with the 3rd lesson, The gospel of Jesus Christ, instead of the Restoration in mind. When I first arrived here this was a bit of a departure than from what I was expecting. However I went forth and preached through stories and examples to the people of my first area, Sousa. I have over time thought about this and why it was more important to teach about Christ than the Book of Mormon.



   Throughout my life I have been a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I have always believed in the Book of Mormon, and have always believed in the inspiration of Prophets, teachers, and friends. When people ask me what do I believe in usually I say, ´I believe in the Book of Mormon.´ or `I believe in standards in the Mormon church and strive to live them`. Not exactly to that effect, but as I´ve been pondering that is pretty much the significance of what I say. I believe that over time I kept thinking about these things and constantly saying them to everyone that asked about my religon. I got too caught up in the little things of my religion instead of remembering the basic truth.



   For example, let´s picture  a tower, sorta like Rapunzel´s tower. Everything we have as member of the Church of Christ are like the bricks in this tower. The Book of Mormon, the Word of Wisdom, the Law of Chasity, The Bible, and the priesthood to name a few. Overtime as we live in this grand tower and look out at the beautiful world that God has given us we forget the basics, or the foundation of the tower. We forget the starting point and overtime forget that it was that starting point that this grand tower was made.


   What is our foundation?
 
   To quote Helaman 5:12

`And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall.`

   What are the first 5 words of our true church? The Church of Jesus Christ. As I´ve read the Book of Mormon for my first time in the mission field I came across 3 Nephi 27:8 and 9 where Christ counseled the Nephites to call the Church after his name because it is the Church of His Gospel. This is what I have forgotten. That everything I have and everything I truly believe in rest solely on Christ and His gospel. 



   That is why I believe we teach the people in my mission the gospel of Jesus Christ first. Because Jesus Christ taught that the 1st fruits of the gospel are Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, Repentance through His name, Baptism like he showed in the Holy Scriptures, Receiving the Holy Ghost as Jesus Christ did through a dove, and Enduring to the End just like how Jesus suffered every conceivable and inconceivable thing until he was resurrected. We teach them about baptism because it´s the first saving ordinance of the gospel and through baptism and the Holy Ghost every, single, person can return to live in the kingdom of God.   



What have I remembered? I remembered that through the Restoration of His gospel we now have an opportunity to prepare and return to our loving Heavenly Father. I remember that through the infinite and so powerful Atonement of Jesus Christ we can be cleaned of all of our sins and fulfill the Plan of Salvation. I remember that Jesus Christ taught his gospel so that every, single, person can follow in his footsteps and return into the presence of God. I remember that as we follow the commandment as Jesus did we can receive immense blessing in this life and, use them to bless the lives of our fellowmen and women.


I Remember that Jesus Christ is my Savior and Redeemer

I Believe that Jesus Christ is my Savior and Redeemer

I Know with all my heart, mind, might, and strength that 

JESUS CHRIST is my SAVIOR and REDEEMER


   And you can remember too. Through honest heart-felt prayer to our loving Heavenly Father in the name of Jesus Christ. Through honest reflection and pondering the truth will come out and you will remember Jesus Christ.

   In the name of Jesus Christ I close this testimony with the intent that people will honestly read this and feel the Holy Ghost as I have.

Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment